Water Rates

Print
Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

SPECIAL ADVISORY NOTICES

ENGLISH: Notice to property owners and water customers: Proposed Water Rate Increase

TAGALOG: Paunawa sa mga may-ari ng are-arian at mga parokyano ng tubig ipinanukalang pagtaas ng singil ng tubig

SPANISH: Aviso a los propietarios y clientes de augua aumento de la tarifa de agua propuesta

 

water rate advisory committee     where our water comes from     zero water footprint american canyon

how far your water goes     what does this mean for you water rates     where your money goes     water how we can help you

 water conservation     Water rate frequently asked questions FAQs     Proposition 218     water rate study

water rates interactive calculator     water rates residential calculator     commercial multi-family calculator water rates

 

WATER RATES BACKGROUND & OVERVIEW

The City currently purchases approximately 90% of our necessary water supply from the State Water Project. The other 10% comes from the City Vallejo and/or the City of Napa. During the recent drought, the State Water Project was unable to provide enough water for our residents and business users, which meant the City had to purchase water on the open market. This severely impacted our City’s Water Fund. With the implementation of the drought surcharge, the City was able to maintain the current level of service.

The Water Division is currently working to decrease leaks and increase the reliability of our water sources in order to provide for our residents and businesses in the future. This requires significant capital improvement and participation in the Sites Reservoir Project for additional water supply reliability. This, along with community conservation has sustained the City thus far; however, this is not a long-term solution.

The City of American Canyon’s Water Division is an enterprise fund. The fund cannot show a profit, but it does need to maintain a reserve fund. The expenditures for operating capital (which includes the costs to buy, treat, and distribute the water) and debt service (paying back of prior loans) are covered by rates and fees paid by the customers. The primary factors which impact our water rates include the cost of water, the cost of daily operations, and the capital improvements necessary to repair aging infrastructure. Although the City may be only 25 years young, American Canyon’s water infrastructure is up to 60-years-old in some neighborhoods.  

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW

After review of current expenses and future projections, the Water Rate Advisory Committee (WRAC) is preliminarily recommending a 9.5% per year rate adjustment phased in over 5 years.  They are also recommending an increase in fixed revenue from 7% (current) to 20% phased in over 5 years. A comparison chart is available to show what this means to users. Take a look at the number of units consumed on your past bills to compare with the proposed rates. 

WRAC 5-year cash flow

NEXT STEPS

We will be working on the following important milestones over the next few months. 

  • April 10, 2018      -  Community meeting from 6pm to 7pm at American Canyon Community Center
  • April 19, 2018      -  Community meeting from 7pm to 8pm at American Canyon High School Cafeteria
  • May 15, 2018      -  City Council will conduct Public Hearing at 6:30pm at City Hall
  • June 1, 2018       -  Rates effective pending successful Public Hearing 

FOR MORE INFORMATION

Stay tuned to this web page for further updates and links. Please also sign up for the City Manager's Friday Update and like our Facebook page. For more information contact Public Works via phone at (707) 647-4558 or send an email.

 

 

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Flash Player QuickTime Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer