In 2015 the City of American Canyon created Citizens Academy — a program of classes designed to help the community learn more about their local government.
This is a free program for American Canyon community members age 18 and older. If you are interested in your community and how to make it better, this is a great opportunity for you. Join us!
ACADEMY MEMBER ACTIVITIES
During the eight evening classes, you will have the chance to:
- Meet with the City management team, including the City Manager and department heads
- Learn how decisions are made, how city funds are allocated and how departments operate
- Ask questions of the management team
- Hear the current status and future plans for American Canyon's development
- Learn about current issues and proposed projects in the City
- Participate in discussions about City policy
- Tour City facilities
- Introduction, history and understanding the big picture
- Money Matters - How government is funded and where the money goes
- Public Safety - Police Department
- Public Safety - Fire Department
- Parks, Open Space, Leisure and Recreation
- Developing and Maintaining the Community: Land use, zoning and new development
- Public Works, Engineering, Transportation and Utilities
- Putting it all together – how the community makes policy choices
Sessions will be held over a period of eight weeks. The next session is planned for Thursday evenings, March 30, 2017 - May 18, 2017. A casual dinner will be served from American Canyon restaurants. There is no fee to attend.
Class size is limited to 25 participants. If we receive more than 25 applications, we will randomly select participants from among the applications received.
We want this experience to be meaningful, and ask that participants commit to attending all eight sessions. We also want it to be fun and interesting. Sessions will be held at various city facilities and we encourage you to participate and ask questions. We will NOT be lecturing for three hours!!!
THE GRADUATING CLASSES
Winter 2015 Graduates
Fall 2015 Graduates
Summer 2016 Graduates
Each and every class of Academy Graduates has had a lot of fun and learned along the way. Check out some pictures from each session.
HOW DO I APPLY?
City of American Canyon
4381 Broadway Street, Suite 201
American Canyon, CA 94503
Attention: City Manager's Office
If the Spring 2017 session does not work with your schedule, please let us know and we'll add you to the interest list for future sessions.
Click here to be added to the mailing list for future classes.
For questions, contact Jen by email or (707) 647-5355.