Building Permits

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
  • Do I need a building permit?

    The California Building Code requires that no building or structure regulated by the code shall be erected, constructed, enlarged, altered, repaired, moved, improved, converted or demolished without first obtaining a separate building permit for each building or structure.
  • How do I get a building permit?

    Building permits must be applied for at the Community Development Department offices. If you are applying for a residential building permit, you may print out and complete the Building Permit Application.
  • How do I know if I need a building permit?

    If you have project specific questions or you would like additional information, you can call (707) 647-4581, or visit our office. 
  • How do I schedule a building inspection?

    You can request an inspection by calling the Building Inspection Hotline at (707) 551-4619. You must call before 6:30 am for a same day inspection. Calls received after that time will be scheduled the next business day. To cancel an inspection please call the office at (707) 647-4581. 
  • What are the requirements to submit a building permit?

  • What fire protection measures are required in new construction?

    The American Canyon Fire District requires fire sprinklers in all new residential construction and in all new commercial construction greater than 600 square feet. 
  • What if my building permit has expired?

    If your permit has expired, please fill out our Building Permit Extension Request form.
  • What is the Americans with Disability Act?

    The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), which came into effect on January 26, 1992, is a federal civil rights law that prohibits discrimination against people with disabilities in everyday activities. All businesses, even those that do not serve the public, must comply with these federal ADA Standards regardless of whether the building is/is not being remodeled, renovated, or altered. New buildings and existing buildings that are being remodeled, renovated, or altered must also comply with the state accessibility requirements in addition to the federal ADA Standards. The City of American Canyon enforces the state accessibility requirements only. The federal ADA Standards are enforced by the Department of Justice. For more information, please visit the Department of Justice ADA Business Connection page at
  • What is the design wind load and wind exposure that must be used for structures constructed in the city of American Canyon?

    100 -115 mph is the Basic Wind Speed for American Canyon (depending on the Building Risk Category). Exposure C for all properties west of Highway 29, Exposure B for all properties east of Highway 29. 
  • What is the Owner-Builder Acknowledgment form?

    This form is to make sure you are aware of your responsibilities and possible risks by having a permit issued in your name as the Owner-Builder. A building permit will not be issued until you have read, initialed, signed and returned this form to us. 

    Owner's Acknowledgement and Verification of Information

  • What work requires a building permit?

  • Which building code is used by the city of American Canyon?

    California Building Standards Codes, 2016 version, with amendments in Chapter 16 of the City of American Canyon Municipal Code.
  • Which seismic zone is the city of American Canyon located?