Frequently Asked Questions

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
  • Who do I contact if I have a complaint?

    We strive to meet your expectations, however, if you have a complaint direct your concerns to the following appropriate person:

    Recreation programs, classes, special events, and sports    Roddrick Sweeney (707)647-4566
    Aquatics programs and Aquatics Center Joedy Michael (707)647-4570
    Facility rentals, registration and reservations Parks & Recreation (707)648-7275
    American Canyon Transit NVTA (707)557-7557
    Park Maintenance Brian Materne (707)647-4591

  • What are your office hours?

    Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays
    8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
    Tuesdays & Thursdays : 8:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
    Closed Saturdays, Sundays, and City Holidays
  • Where are you located?

    The Parks and Recreation Department office is located at 100 Benton Way.  We occupy the corner office at the Phillip West Aquatics Center.  From Highway 29, travel west on Donaldson Way.  If you continue to travel west, Donaldson Way becomes Benton Way.  We are located between the Boys and Girls Club and American Canyon Middle School.
  • What types of programs do you offer?

    Recreation classes, special events, summer day camp, youth and adult basketball, youth track meet, swim lessons, swim team, open swim, fitness swim, teen activities, senior citizen activities, transportation and more!  Additional information about each specific program is listed on the Community Services Department web page.
  • If our group is going to have a picnic at a City park, do we have to rent a picnic area?

    When a group picnic area is not reserved, the area is available on a first come-first served basis.  However, the only way to make sure that you have use of a particular picnic area is to reserve the area.
  • How do you decide what programs and activities to offer?

    Suggestions for programs often come from the public, City Council, Parks and Community Services Commission and the Activities Committee. The expertise and experience of Department staff is also utilized to develop program ideas.  There are many factors that determine what programs and activities are ultimately offered.   The availability of facilities, funding and availability of qualified instructors or leaders must be taken into consideration.
  • What forms of payment do you accept?

    Acceptable forms of payment are cash, check and Master card and Visa credit card.  Checks should be made payable to the City of American Canyon. 
  • Do I have to be an American Canyon resident to register for programs or classes?

    No.  However, certain programs allow American Canyon residents to register prior to non-American Canyon residents and some programs may have a higher fee for non-residents.
  • What qualifies me as an American Canyon resident?

    You must live within the boundaries of the City of American Canyon.
  • How can I reserve a facility?

    Facility rentals are handled at the Parks and Recreation Department office, 100 Benton Way. In order to reserve one of our facilities (Gym, Recreation Center, parks, pool, etc.), we must have a completed facility rental form on file along with the rental fees paid in full. The deposit and insurance, if applicable, may be paid no later than one week prior to the rental.
  • What is the maximum capacity of your indoor facilities? Do the facilities come with tables and chairs?

    The Recreation Center can legally hold up to 67 people.  The Community Center can legally hold up to 541 people. However, it is not practical to have that many people in the facilities.  In most cases the Recreation Center can handle up to 50 people.  For a sit down dinner situation, the Community Center can handle up to 300. The Recreation Center has enough tables and chairs to handle most events.  The Community Center has at least 250 chairs, but renters must supply their own tables.
  • Why must Recreation Center rentals end at 11:00 p.m. and Community Center rentals end at 10:00 p.m.?

    Both facilities are in residential areas. The City is attempting to strike a balance between the needs of the renter and the desire to be a good neighbor.
  • If I register for a recreation class and can't attend, can I get a refund?

    Refunds minus a $10 processing fee for each refunded class or program will be given if the refund request is made at least seven (7) days prior to the start of a class or program.  Refunds may be requested by fax, walk-in, email, or by mail and must be made in writing.  Non-attendance in a program is not grounds for a refund.  If a program is cancelled a full refund will be granted.  For City - sponsored youth sports leagues, the start of the program shall be defined as the date teams are formed.  Some programs or activities may be designated and advertised as "non-refundable" and refunds will not be given for those programs and activities.
  • When is the swimming pool covered by the air-inflated structure?

    Usually the "dome" goes on by the middle of November when the weather begins to cool down and the rain starts. The air-inflated structure is normally removed in mid to late March.
  • I don't remember what level my child is for swim lessons. Can you tell me what level my child is?

    The instructors will evaluate every child in the first class of each session. If your child is in the wrong class they will be moved to a more appropriate level. We leave some room in each session to accommodate the changes. Each level has specific skills that must be learned before the child can move on. The skills are the building blocks for more advanced skills. Children learn the skills when they are physically and emotionally ready to move.  Staff will also be more than happy to help you determine the likely level that applies to your child.
  • How many students are in a swim lesson class?

    The entry-level classes (Levels I & II) are limited to six students. Levels III through VII can have more students because their skill level is more advanced. These levels usually will have no more than 8 students. Often times, we have volunteers that assist in teaching. This gives an additional set of eyes and gives each student more individual time.
  • Can I have a " specific " swim lesson instructor?

    The instructors are trained to teach all levels of swimming.  Students are assigned to classes based on their skill level. Instructors are assigned to teach certain levels based on program need, class size, experience, and their availability. The combination of these factors makes it impossible to assign specific instructors to students. Every instructor brings a positive attitude and all their experience to each class.
  • Do I have to participate if my child is taking swimming lessons?

    If the child is at least 3 years old they can participate in the regular group swim lessons.  Children under the age of 3 can enroll in the Parent and Me class, which does require the participation of a parent or other adult.
  • When is the pool open for the public?

    The pool is open to the public for open swim primarily in the summer season. Open Swim is generally held on weekends in May and early June, every day during school summer vacation and then on weekends until the middle of October. Throughout the year there are special holiday open swims held.  On a year-round basis we offer Fitness Swim for lap swimmers, swim lessons and the AHI youth swim team program.
  • Can I rent the pool for a party?

    Yes, anyone can rent the pool depending upon availability. A completed facility application and rental fees must be on file in order to reserve the date. Reservations must be made at least two weeks in advance. Alcoholic beverages are not allowed at the Phillip West Aquatics Center.
  • Can I have a pool party during open swim?

    Yes, you can have a small party during open swim. You must make reservations two weeks prior to the desired date and the facility use form must be on file. Parties during open swim are limited to no more than 30 people total (this includes non-swimmers). The number of pool parties allowed during each open swim session is limited.  No barbeque grills are allowed inside the fenced pool area.  The parties are strictly limited to the hours of open swim. This is not a pool rental and there are no special services. Keep in mind that the pool is open to the public during open swim pool parties and attendance can be very high on warmer days. Alcoholic beverages are not allowed at the Phillip West Aquatics Center. Regular open swim fees apply.