***Newell Open Space is closed October 13 through October 15 due to a Red Flag Warning. Please stay off the trails and out of the preserve.***
In 1999, Jack and Bernice Newell donated the Newell Open Space property to the City of American Canyon. This preserve includes 620 acres due east of the City connected by a pan handle along Newell Creek.
Preserve Hours: Daily, Sunrise to Sunset
- Newell Open Space Map
- Newell Open Space Flyer
- Newell Open Space Preserve Management Plan
- Newell Open Space Seek & Find
Loop Trail Access: Weather Permitting
Note that closures can happen at any time due to:
- Seasonal Closure- at certain times, wildlife require minimal human disturbance. Seasonal closures allow wildlife to successfully breed, nest and forage.
- Trail Closures- Maintenance and construction are being conducted on trails.
- Adverse Weather Conditions- Extreme Rain and Lightning
- Red Flag Warning- Heat: 80 of higher/ Wind: 20mph of higher/ Humidity: 20% or lower
- Must stay on Trail at all time.
- Newell Open Space Preserve is a working ranch where free-range cattle roam as they please. There are several cattle gates across trails, please leave the gates as you find them, ie. if found open, please leave open; if closed, please close behind you.
- For your pet's safety, dogs are not allowed at this time.
- Please leave no trace- pack in and pack out trash.
- Maintain a safe distance from cattle and wildlife, and be aware that this is tick, coyote, mountain lion, and potentially rattlesnake country.
All hikers should be aware that the trails at Newell Open Space can be rugged, and we share this space with nearby cattle. We understand that hiking with cattle can make some people nervous. The University of California Agriculture and Natural Resources has some valuable information on understanding working rangelands to help improve interactions with cattle. Please read the following publication for more information: