This 300-acre site was operated as a municipal landfill from 1942 until the 1990's, receiveing trash from Napa and Solano counties. Trash was placed first in pits dug on the drained marshland and covered, then later buried in layers interspersed with soil.
Approximately 178 acres of land were restored to tidal action around the landfill. Sitting beside the river and in the wetlands, the landfill has now been closed, capped and landscaped. It has been transformed into a major recreation opportunity for the region with a multi-use trail around its base.