City of American Canyon Business Licenses
4381 Broadway St., First Floor
American Canyon, CA 94503
Laura Banta - Business License Coordinator
To inquire about the status of your business license application send an email to email@example.com or click here.
Reminder - All Business Licenses expire on December 31st. Courtesy renewal notices were mailed December 10th and are due no later than the 31st of January.
Who needs a business license certificate?
Any person, but not limited to, an individual, partnership, corporation or sole proprietor who wishes to conduct either directly or indirectly, any business within the City of American Canyon, must secure a business license certificate. The City ordinance states that it is unlawful for any person to commence, transact, engage in, or carry on any business in the city without first having obtained a valid license and paid the license fee.
Before You Apply
In addition to obtaining the business license certificate, you must also comply with all the city, county, state and federal regulations for zoning, building, health and safety, as well as any others which may directly apply to your type of business.
All businesses are encouraged to visit the CalGold website which can assist in the process for determining what types of Federal, State, and County licenses or permits may be required in addition to your Business License.
All employers and many businesses are required to have a Federal Tax Identification Number and/or an Employer Identification Number. For an application, or additional information please contact the Internal Revenue Service or the Franchise Tax Board for assistance. Also if your business will be having employees registration with the Employment Development Department is required. Visit the California Tax Service Center website for assistance and links to required forms.
- Retail and Wholesale Sales
- Alcoholic Beverages
- Food Preparation
- If your business involves preparing and/or selling food at a retail level a Napa County Environmental Health Permit is required. This includes but is not limited to catering businesses, food trucks, ice cream trucks or carts, and retail food establishments. These businesses must present a copy of their health permit to obtain a business license.
- If your business is manufacturing, packing, or warehousing processed foods a permit is required from California Department of Health Services. If your business is involved in the processing, sales or use of such things as dairy products, fruits and vegetables, pesticides and fertilizers, organic foods, and more. Check with the California Department of Food and Agriculture for these types of businesses.
- Additional permits or licenses
- May be required from Napa County , including but not limited to Fictitious Name Statements, Hazardous Waste Facilities, public facilities (i.e. swimming pools for public use), and vehicle repairs. The use of a business name that does not include its owner(s) surname is required to file a Fictitious Name Statement with the County Clerk-Recorder's Office.
- Contractors Licenses
- All businesses or individuals who construct or alter any building, highway, road, parking facility, railroad, excavation, or other structure in California must be licensed by the California Contractors State License Board (CSLB) if the total cost (labor and materials) of one or more contacts on the project is $500 or more. Contractors, including subcontractors, specialty contractors, and persons engaged in the business of home improvement (with the exception of joint ventures and projects involving federal funding) must be licensed before submitting bids. Licenses may be issued to individuals, partnerships, corporations, or joint ventures. The CSLB does not issue licenses to Limited Liability Companies (LLC's).
Contractors and sub-contractors are also required to obtain a City Business license.
- Your business is exempt from having a Contractor's License if work on a project for which the combined value of labor, materials, and all other costs on one or more contracts is less than $500. Work which is a part of a larger or major project, whether undertaken by the same or different contractors, may not be divided into amounts less than $500 in an attempt to meet the $500 exemption. Unlicensed contractors must provide the purchaser with the written disclosure in B&P Code section 7048 stating that they are not licensed by the CSLB. If the contractor fails to provide the written disclosure, the $500 exemption does not apply and a citation can be issued for work completed by the unlicensed contractor. Businesses which fall into the minor work exception must still obtain a City Business License.
- Peddlers & Solicitors
- All peddlers and solicitors are required to obtain a business license. This includes but is not limited to: Door-to-door sales, mobile food or ice cream trucks/carts, distributing flyers, products, or advertising in public areas. All peddlers and solicitors are required to provide a copy of their government issued photo identification. The following documents are required at the time of application for all peddlers or solicitors which involve any type of food product:
- Napa County Health Permit
- Current Department of Motor Vehicles Registration for vehicle involved.
- Current copy of Department of Motor Vehicles Driver Print-out for any and all drivers for this entity.
- Copy of valid Insurance Policy for the vehicle and listed drivers.
- Peddlers and solicitors are only allowed to conduct business between dawn and dusk
- Daycare Facilities
- Home Occupation Permits
- The use of residential property for business purposes requires a Home Occupation Permit. If your business is home-based in American Canyon please complete the Home Occupation Business License Forms. There are several provisions listed on the reverse side of the Home Occupation Permit. For more details or to receive a complete listing of the Home Occupation Permit regulations, please contact the Planning Department.
Posting and Keeping Licenses
All business license certificates must be displayed on the premises. For those not having a fixed business address, the certificate must be physically carried by the person and presented upon request.
Business License Renewal
Once you have obtained a business license certificate, a courtesy renewal notice will be mailed to you approximately three weeks before the expiration date. Licenses which expire on December 31 must renew by the last business day in January to avoid a penalty. If you do not receive a renewal notice, please contact the business license coordinator at (707) 647-4354 or by email. Failure to receive a renewal notice does not relieve the business owner's responsibility to renew the business license.
Business License Fees
Please see the fee schedule for details on the fees. All fees should be payable to the City of American Canyon. Please be aware that we accept Cash, Check, VISA and MasterCard. There is a $25 Returned Check Fee. For businesses located in American Canyon, please follow the outlined procedure and your fees will be payable after your license has been approved. At that time you will receive notification in the mail to make your payment.
If you have any questions about any of the information provided, or any other questions in regards to Business License, please contact the Business License Coordinator at (707) 647-4354.