Newell Open Space will be closed June 22-June 24, due to a Red Flag warning.
NEWELL OPEN SPACE PRESERVE
In 1999, Jack and Bernice Newell donated the Newell Open Space property to the City of American Canyon. This preserve includes 620 acres due east of the City connected by a pan handle along Newell Creek.
All hikers should be aware that the trails at Newell Open Space can be rugged, and we share this space with nearby cattle. We understand that hiking with cattle can make some people nervous. The University of California Agriculture and Natural Resources has some valuable information on understanding working rangelands to help improve interactions with cattle. Please read the following publication for more information:
WETLANDS OPEN SPACE & NAPA RIVER BAY TRAIL
Our waters, wetlands and uplands are part of an interconnected watershed system that drains into San Francisco Bay, the largest estuary on the Pacific coasts of North and South America.
From its headwaters near Calistoga to San Pablo Bay 55 miles downstream, a drop of water falling at the top of the ridge flows by gravity into the Napa River. There are 47 tributary creeks that flow into the Napa River. Fagan Creek, Sheehy Creek, Suscol Creek, American Canyon Creek and the North Slough are in our community.
The Napa River Bay Trail is located on Wetlands Edge Road and Eucalyptus Drive. Parking is provided at the Wetlands Edge Viewing Area and Trailhead. There are several trail options for an enjoyable day hiking or biking:
- Wetlands Edge Trail - This path follows Wetlands Edge Road from Eucalyptus Drive to Kensington Way.
- Congressman Mike Thompson's Hike and Bike Loop Trail (horses permitted)
- Napa River View - Once over the pedestrian bridge, turn left and follow the path out to the river. Local residents call this area Glass Beach due to the tumbled glass that can be found on the shore.
- Napa River Bay Trail North to Green Island - This trail will take you up to the northern portion of the Napa River and the Bay Trail.
For more additional information on the Wetlands and Napa River Bay Trail, click on the links below.
- History of the Wetlands
- Wetlands, Trails and Open Space Video
- Napa River Bay Trail Map
- Napa River Bay Trail Network Map
- Napa River Bay Trail Flyer
- "Trail to River Opens in American Canyon" - Napa Valley Register, 4/26/2010