In 2015 the City of American Canyon created the Citizens Academy — a program of classes designed to help the community learn more about their local government.
The Citizens Academy is a free program for American Canyon community members age 18 and older. If you are interested in your community and how to make it better, this is an excellent opportunity for you.
If you are interested in attending a future session of the Academy or have questions, contact Jen by email or (707) 647-5355.
During the eight classes, you will have the chance to:
- Meet with the City management team, including the City Manager and department heads
- Learn how decisions are made, how city funds are allocated and how departments operate
- Ask questions of the management team
- Hear the current status and plans for American Canyon's development
- Learn about current issues and proposed projects in the City
- Participate in discussions about City policy
- Tour City facilities
- Introduction, history and understanding the big picture
- Money Matters - How government is funded and where the money goes
- Public Safety - Police Department
- Public Safety - Fire Department
- Parks, Open Space, Leisure, and Recreation
- Developing and Maintaining the Community: Land use, zoning, and new development
- Public Works, Engineering, Transportation, and Utilities
- Putting it all together – how the community makes policy choices