CITY STAFF COMPENSATION
Any questions about compensation can be answered by calling Human Resources at (707) 647-4361.
The State Controller's Office lists salaries for all City and County workers in California.
The Budget is the City's annual spending plan. It's much more than accounting document. In a budget message to the Mayor and Members of the City Council, there is a discussion of past challenges and future ones that the City and Fire District face during the year. The budget document incorporates the goals, objectives and priorities of the City Council. It includes organization charts, staffing summaries, calculations of the appropriation limits and the City’s fiscal policy.
City Council goals are organized around the following themes:
- Provide Quality Customer Service
- Position the City for Economic Development Opportunities
- American Canyon Will Remain Fiscally Sustainable
- The City Will Work to Satisfy Community Needs
- Provide for Safety of American Canyon Residents, Workers and Visitors
Within each theme a number of priority projects supporting Council objectives as detailed in the budget document were identified for completion during the year. In addition, Department Directors establish work projects within their own departments in support of the City Council goals to improve the City and move it forward. These are listed in the budget document in each department’s section.
Preparation of the budget is coordinated by Finance Department staff but it is a team effort. The budget process begins in January when a budget calendar of key dates is prepared and approved by the City Manager. Budget instructions, worksheets and other information are distributed to each Department Director. Accounts are analyzed and Directors project a year-end balance of their expenses and revenues. These balances are used to estimate a beginning fund balance for each fund for the new budget cycle. Each Department Director then completes a budget worksheet estimating new year revenues and requesting appropriations to run their respective departments. The worksheets are compiled and reviewed by the Finance Director and City Manager. After a comprehensive review, the City Manager makes his adjustments prior to presentation of a “City Manager Recommended Budget” to the Finance Committee and City Council. A budget workshop is held with the City Council to review and discuss the details of the budget. Subsequently, a public hearing on the budget is scheduled where citizens may provide input for the Council’s consideration. The budget is adopted by the City Council in June prior to the beginning of the fiscal year.
Select a year to download the budget:
- Fiscal Year 2019-2020
- Fiscal Year 2018-2019
- Fiscal Year 2017-2018
- Fiscal Year 2016-2017
- Fiscal Year 2015-2016
- Fiscal Year 2014-2015
- Fiscal Year 2013-2014
To view the City's Fiscal Policy, click here.
- The Introductory section provides general information on the City’s structure and the services it provides. It discusses the local economy, recounts key projects, and details financial planning issues and future challenges, as well as other vital topics.
- The Financial section contains the basic financial statements and certain required supplementary information including management’s discussion and analysis (MD&A) as well as the independent auditor’s report. The MD&A provides financial highlights, an overview of the financial statements and compares key financial data to the prior year. Additionally, the financial section provides information on each individual fund.
- The Statistical section provides a broad range of financial, debt and demographic information useful in assessing the City’s economic condition, much of it in the form of ten-year trend data.
The American Canyon Fire Protection District, a subsidiary special district of the City, is also included in the CAFR as a blended component unit. However, the Fire District’s Operations Fund is a major fund and is presented separately. Other District funds can also be separately identified in the CAFR.
The City's Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR) can be viewed below:
The City’s Annual Compliance and Five Year Development Impact Fee Report: