City of American Canyon Cash for Grass Terms and Conditions 2017
1. Funding is limited and applicants will be accepted on a first‐come, first‐served basis. The City reserves the right to terminate the program at any time. Program is open to all properties served by the City of American Canyon.
2. Turf may be living or dead at the time of application. Evidence of previous lawn such as existing turf, borders, remnants of turf, or existing operational turf irrigation systems may also be acceptable. Contact USAnorth811.org
before any digging.
3. Residents are to provide photos of their property prior to converting their landscape. A Water Efficiency Representative can be made available to take photos prior to conversion by appointment. Please (707) 647‐4542 or e‐mail email@example.com
to make arrangements.
4. The rebated portion of the converted landscape must include plants in a minimum of 33% of the converted area at maturity, or three (3) plants per 100 square feet of converted grass. At least one tree, existing or new, must be incorporated into the converted landscape.
5. The rebated portion of the converted landscapes may only include low water use, drought‐tolerant or California native plants. The Water Use Classification of Landscape Species list (http://ucanr.edu/sites/WUCOLS/
) or local plant lists may be used to make this selection. One exception is that the rebated portion of the converted landscape may also include food‐producing trees, shrubs, vines and perennial plants.
6. Exposed dirt is not allowed in the rebated portion of the converted landscape. All planting areas must have a minimum of three (3) inches of mulch. Mulch includes organic material, rock, decomposed granite or bark. The use of a border around the perimeter of any area using bark as mulch is required.
7. Live or artificial turf is not allowed in the rebated portion of the converted landscape.
8. Hardscape is allowed in limited amounts, and must be permeable. Impermeable surfaces such as concrete are not allowed. Paving stones, pavers and brick patios are permitted but must be filled with loose material. No concrete or impermeable grouting may be used to affix the pavers in place. Hardscape cannot exceed 25% of the rebated portion of the converted landscape.
9. Irrigation system for the converted area, if used, must be drip irrigation, micro‐spray irrigation or hand watering. The system must be in good working order, free of leaks and malfunctions. If only part of the lawn is converted, new planting area must be irrigated on a separate valve from the remaining turf.
10. Turf replacement and landscape conversion must be completed within six (6) months of Notice to Proceed. Converted areas must remain in compliance with program terms and conditions for a period of five (5) years following receipt of rebate. An applicant may be charged part or entire rebate at City’s discretion if terms and
conditions have been violated.
11. If applicant is not the property owner written consent from property owner must be provided at pre‐inspection visit.
12. If conversion fails inspection applicant will be given 30 calendar days to bring the project into compliance.